Sunday, September 16, 2012

Meet Our New (and Fabulous) Woodland Heights Teachers!

If you heard that we have some wonderful new teachers this year at Woodland, you DEFINITELY heard right!! I am extremely pleased to introduce you to some very talented young educators who have joined our school community over the summer months. Intensive search processes were conducted in order to find the very 'best of the best', and bring their talent, enthusiasm, and ability to Woodland Heights. As you get to know our new friends, I know that you are going to be impressed. Please join me in extending a 'Warm Woodland Welcome to ....

Name: Marcy Kelley WHS Teaching Assignment: Student Services Coordinator College(s) Attended: University of Rhode Island & Plymouth State University (M.Ed.) Also Taught At: Newport School District, Hollis School District, Franklin School District Some Things About Me: I love all things sports & outdoors, spending time with family and friends, and traveling. Why I Became a Teacher: To connect with and hopefully enrich the lives of children in some way. What I Am Looking Forward To At Woodland Heights: I am looking forward to working with such a diverse, talented and dedicated group of professionals. Most of all, I am looking forward to meeting the students.

Name: Rebecca McKellar WHS Teaching Assignment: Kindergarten Classroom Teacher College(s) Attended: Keen State College (B.A.) Also Taught At: Strafford County Head Start (Rochester & Farmington, NH), Windham Cooperative Kindergarten & Nursery (Windham, NH) Some Things About Me: I grew up in southern Massachusetts and have had the same best friend since I was four. There is a zoo in my original hometown. When not teaching and learning I enjoy knitting, reading, swimming, and hiking. Why I Became a Teacher: Teaching was always something that I always wanted to do. I have a strong love of learning, instilled by fabulous early and secondary educators, and I can think of nothing more rewarding than passing on that passion to future generations. What I Am Looking Forward To At Woodland Heights: I am excited about sharing my passion for learning with children and families, as well as, forming a greater understanding of the Laconia community.

Name: Becky Ciulla WHS Teaching Assignment: Kindergarten Special Education Teacher College(s) Attended: Plymouth State University (M.Ed.) Also Taught At: Plymouth Elementary School, Franklin Middle School, Campton Elementary School Some Things About Me: I enjoy being active such as running, hiking, biking, kayaking/canoeing, snowboarding, and sports. I played volleyball in high school and college, and am still playing! Also, I have hiked 39 out of the 48 4,000 foot mountains within NH. Why I Became a Teacher: I wanted to give students the support and guidance that I received throughout my schooling from teachers, school staff, and adults. What I Am Looking Forward To At Woodland Heights: I am excited about being a part of a great Kindergarten Team, as well as the Laconia school and community. I look forward to collaborating and being actively involved within the classrooms.

Name: Jessica Coulombe WHS Teaching Assignment: Grade 2 Classroom Teacher College(s) Attended: Plymouth State University (B.A.) Also Taught At: Tollhouse Preschool (Merrimack), Woodland Heights & Pleasant Street Schools (Laconia) Some Things About Me: I am an avid crafter. I love scrapbooking, photography and quilting. I also enjoy running, hiking and mountain biking. Why I Became a Teacher: I have always known I wanted to teach. I want to help children find a joy in learning, like I did when I was young. I want to be the support system that aids all students in being successful. What I Am Looking Forward To At Woodland Heights: I student taught at WHS last year and loved the supportive and caring environment here. I can’t wait to reconnect with my past students and make new connections with the students and staff here at WHS.

Name: Ashley Galicki WHS Teaching Assignment: Grade 2 Classroom Teacher College(s) Attended: University of New Hampshire (M.Ed.) Also Taught At: Mast Way School (Lee), Little Harbor School (Portsmouth) Some Things About Me: During my college career, I spent one semester studying abroad in Florence, Italy and loved every minute of the adventure! Why I Became a Teacher: I became a teacher because I want to be a positive role model for children and inspire them to give their best effort while encouraging them to love coming to school everyday! What I Am Looking Forward To At Woodland Heights: I am most looking forward to working collaboratively with a warm and friendly community :)

Name: Kelsey Hubbard WHS Teaching Assignment: Grade 3 Classroom Teacher College(s) Attended: Keene State College (B.S.) Also Taught At: The Early Enrichment Center (Concord), Belmont High School, Beaver Meadow School (Concord) Some Things About Me:I completed an internship during my senior year in a 2nd grade classroom at Woodland Heights so it is great to officially be a Wildcat! I enjoy being outside as much as possible and staying active. I also love to travel! I have been to Canada, the Dominican Republic, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, and El Salvador. Why I Became a Teacher: I truly love helping children to succeed beyond anything that they ever thought possible!  What I Am Looking Forward To At Woodland Heights: Getting to know my students, families, and the wonderful Woodland Heights community!

Name: Heather Whitmore WHS Teaching Assignment: Grade 3 Classroom Teacher College(s) Attended: Southern New Hampshire University (M.Ed.) Also Taught At: Beech Street Elementary School in Manchester Some Things About Me: I have spent almost half of my life living in Florida, but I consider myself a Manchester native. After graduating college, I spent four years working at Fidelity Investments in Merrimack. Although I learned a great deal while working there, it helped to confirm that teaching is what I’m truly PASSIONATE about! Why I Became a Teacher: I’ve had many inspiring teachers that made a lasting impact in my life. I want to do the same for my students and show them they are capable of achieving amazing things. After working at an inner city school, I realize how much one person can change the life of a child just by being a positive, encouraging role model. What I Am Looking Forward To At Woodland Heights: I am excited to collaborate with the great teachers of WHS and embrace the open concept of the school.

Name: Tom Pringle WHS Teaching Assignment: Grade 5 Classroom Teacher College(s) Attended: University of New Hampshire (M.Ed.) Also Taught At: Pembroke Hill Elementary School, Epping High School Some Things About Me: I love athletics, the arts, being outside, but most importantly, learning. Learning new things is one of my favorite past times. I love to explore, investigate and make discoveries, big and small. Why I Became a Teacher: I became an educator due to my Elementary School teachers. They instilled a passion to not only learn but to share my knowledge and help others. What I Am Looking Forward To At Woodland Heights: Meeting my students, making connections, and moving forward in a positive direction.

Welcome to Woodland Heights, New Staff!!